Naked Curls Experiment

 

Naked Curls Experiment



 

            In the curly hair community, we talk about Curly Girl method, pre-poo, co-wash, deep condition, curl training and many more. What we do not usually cover is the same way you take a break from work we should take a break from curly hair products. All these terms and washes can be confusing when you first start off learning. As you go into your own curly hair journey, you’ll then realize it takes a lot of time to style your curls. You will spend half an hour in the shower deep conditioning plus another half an hour doing your hair, diffusing or air drying. Once you have your very own set routine you kind of think or wonder what it would be like to jus hop out the shower? How will my curls react?

            I have questioned myself on how my curls would react if I washed and go. I did it in a way where I applied no styling products after my shower and using only H2O to refresh my hair. I did this to also give my scalp a little bit of a break as it was getting scaley. During my wash I used Not Your Mother’s Curl Talk line, shampoo, Scalp Cleansing oil, and their Blue Sea Kale and Pure Coconut Water Sea Minerals Conditioner. Once, I was out the shower I let my hair part the way it wanted to part, dry the way it wanted to dry, curl the way it wanted to curl.

            To my surprise, my hair had so much volume! I am talking volume for days! My curls were also well defined and so light weight. My hair didn’t feel heavy or dry either. Oddly enough my hair felt soft, my curls felt hydrated enough for me to keep playing with my curls without them frizzing. Day 1 of my naked curls experiment was so different, the way it was drying scared me because I had thought I was going to be getting frizz but that was not the case. Volume had arrived and shown me that my hair can have volume and definition! I was in love.

            Day 2 of my bare-naked curls, I had work so of course I had to show case my natural hair. Using only water to spritz my hair for a refresh, no comb, no curl training, just simply spritzing water around my hair to tame any fly aways or frizz. At work, I had gotten so many compliments about how beautiful my hair was and what I had done differently. Of course, I had to explain my experiment and why I was doing this. Turns out by the end of the day my hair was same as when I got to work! Amazing, right?! I also thought day 2 ok on day 3 my hair will end up in a bun…I was WRONG!

            Day 3 had finally arrived and I woke up taking my silk bonnet off and wow! I was amazed at how good my hair looked. It was good enough to wear down another day. I was so happy because I did not need to do much to it again, but do the same as the previous day, use water. It ended up looking and feeling the same as day 2 and my hair felt so light, full of volume. I could touch my hair without getting frizzy or without messing up my curl pattern.

            I have to say day 4 was my bun day, by the end of day 3 I did see some curls not wanting to cooperate and decided the very next day I would do a low bun. I wore a low bun for most of day 4. Day 5 was my wash day. All in all from my experiment I would say I would do this when ever my hair was stressed. After a little less than a year of my journey my hair can be in it’s natural state without any products because it is in fact healthy. Products just help with all the definition, frizz, curl training, and I am totally not against any of the CG Methods. However, it is good to take a break from hair products.

            Question is: If YOU will be taking a break from your curly hair products?

            If you end up taking a break from your curly hair products don’t forget to tag me in your post! I want to see your natural hair and share it with others! Tag @fishinn4chris on Instagram.



Comments

Popular Posts